Corruption, Haj quota issues raised during Zero Hour
New Delhi: Several issues, ranging from CBI probe into corruption in the Central Coalfields Limited (CCL) to raising the quota of Haj pilgrims from Uttar Pradesh, were raised in the Lok Sabha during the Zero Hour on Wednesday.
Yashwant Sinha (BJP) alleged "massive corruption" in the CCL and claimed existence of a "nexus" between the coal mafia and the company officials, as also the police.
He said that he came to know of the "shocking state of affairs" there when he recently staged protest against the state-run coal company in his constituency.
Ram Kishun (SP) sought the quota of Haj pilgrims from Uttar Pradesh to be increased. He said in spite of huge demand from the state, the quota has been decreased thereby creating problems for the Muslims in the state.
P Kumar (AIADMK) said the Trichy airport, which had numerous international flights till 2011, was not so now as no airline operated these flights from there. International air operations were meant only for cargo.
Demanding restoration of international flights, he said before 2011, the airport was connected to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi and the customs department used to earn a lot of revenue from there.
Lal Singh (Cong) asked the government to direct the Central Water Commission to complete the Detailed Project Report for building a dam over a tributary of Ravi river in the Jammu region.
"The DPR was to have been prepared in 18 months but four years have passed and nothing has happened. The project would not only provide water for irrigation and drinking purposes, but also produce 200 MWs of power," he said.
Hukum Deo Narayan Yadav (BJP) wanted the government to send a team of Archaeological Survey of India to Madhubani and adjoining areas of Mithilanchal to survey the historic sites and establish a `Ramayana Circuit` for tourism purposes.
Jagdish Rana (BJP) raised the issue of potholed roads and water scarcity in Saharanpur, while several others wanted railway lines, overbridges, schools and other facilities to be developed in their constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS