Corruption issue to take centrestage in Parliament session
New Delhi: The issue of corruption is expected to take centre stage in the winter session of Parliament beginning Tuesday with a united Opposition raring
to corner the government by raising the matter of "various
scams" including the Adarsh housing scandal.
In fact, the Adarsh scam has become an ideal issue for
the Opposition to target the Congress-led coalition at the
Centre with Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan`s alleged
links proving to be an embarrassment for the ruling party.
While the floor strategy of the Opposition is unclear,
the BJP-led NDA as also the Left parties have given enough
hints that the scams would be their handle to beat the
The Opposition is hell-bent on demanding action on the
allegations of scams surrounding 2G spectrum allocation and
the Commonwealth Games during the month-long session. It will
also seek a detailed discussion on the situation in Kashmir.
The NDA has threatened to stall the proceedings if
"strong action" was not taken against all guilty in the Adarsh
housing scam. The BJP also wants acceptance of Chavan`s
A Union Minister, who declined to be identified, felt
that the first week of the session could turn out to be a
washout due to opposition uproar and adjournments despite
denials by the government that it was "under siege" from the
Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj
has said the BJP would scuttle any plans of the Congress to
"hide" the CWG scam behind the housing society scam.
Striking a similar note, CPI leader D Raja said
corruption would be a major issue for the Left. He said the
government would have to tell Parliament what was happening in
Kashmir after the appointment of interlocutors to find a
political solution to the issue.
Congress is expected to hit back by directing its
firepower against RSS accusing it of being involved in terror
acts and the BJP on the Babri Masjid demolition issue.
A statement at the just-concluded AICC meeting had
obliquely referred to the Ajmer blast saying recent
revelations through detailed investigations have exposed the
"true character" of RSS and its sister organisations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested