Corruption like cancer, to be eradicated at earliest: SC
New Delhi: Corruption is a "disease like cancer" which if not detected in time will spread "its malignancy" in the polity of the country, the Supreme Court said on Wednesday.
"Corruption in a civilised society is a disease like cancer, which if not detected in time, is sure to spread its malignancy among the polity of the country, leading to disastrous consequences," a bench of justices B S Chauhan and F M Ibrahim Kalifulla said.
The court made the observations in its judgement that dismissed the Gujarat government`s plea against the state high court`s January 18, 2012 order which had upheld Justice (Retd) R A Mehta`s appointment as Lokayukta, an anti-graft watchdog body, by Governor Kamla Beniwal.
The apex court also said, "Corruption in society is required to be detected and eradicated at the earliest as it shakes the socio-economic-political system in an otherwise healthy, wealthy, effective and vibrating society.
"Liberty cannot last long unless the state is able to eradicate corruption from public life."
The state government in its plea had contended that the personal discretion exercised by the governor in issuing the appointment warrant of Lokayukta was "unwarranted."
The government had said the appointment was done without consulting it.
The apex court, however, upheld the appointment saying it was done in consultation with the Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court.
The governor had on August 25, 2011 appointed justice Mehta to the post of Lokayukta, which had been lying vacant for last eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’