Corruption needs to be tackled: CVC chief Pradeep Kumar
New Delhi: At a time when the country is battling the menace of corruption, CVC chief Pradeep Kumar on Thursday said the government must do something more than punitive action to check fraudulent conduct by those in power.
Addressing a function organised to reinforce value education in schools, the Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) said school is the place where "we can shape values and behaviour of the person" by making children aware about the menace of corruption and its ill effects.
"The battle against corruption has to be fought on many fronts. Many studies have shown that corruption cannot be curbed by strict laws alone. ...We have to do something more. Punitive actions are not enough," he said at the programme attended by HRD Minister Pallam Raju and Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor.
Noting that some of the most corrupt countries in the world have got the most stringent laws to fight corruption, the CVC said, "China has got one of the most strict laws for fighting corruption, but there the corruption level remains very high."
He said that a corruption-free society cannot be built on fear and distress alone and value education at school level is very important to root out the menace.
"We are all aware of the ill-effects of corruption. Poor are the worst affected. It is a huddle in our developmental efforts, it undermines the rule of law, it weaken our institutions, encourages the under-hand activities," he said.
The HRD Ministry`s decision to promote value education in schools came after the CVC recommended the inclusion of lessons on ethics in school curriculum early this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees