Corruption not new to India: Amartya Sen
New Delhi: Noting that corruption is nothing new in the country, Nobel laureate Amartya Sen has said that it cannot be associated only with the present dispensation as the story will be the same had there been investigations into the previous government`s tenure.
"You can shoot Manmohan Singh, you can shoot his successor, but the main problem still remains. You have the satisfaction of two heads that you can hang up in your wall
but the problem will remain the same," he said.
In an interview to a news channel, he also suggested that in a coalition government,
the Prime Minister is bound by certain compulsions even as his level of integrity was "exceptional".
"If you recognise there is a systematic problem in the nature of the society and in the nature of politics, social and economic morality that have come to prevail, the
answers that have to be sought is how to deal with them rather than say I accuse you," he said.
He was also of the view that corruption was not new in this country and this government.
"I think corruption in the present government are clearly quite large. But I do not think that they are a new phenomenon. If there had been investigations in the previous
government, the story would have been much the same."
Sen also said people were gradually realising the magnitude of the corruption problem.
"The fact is there are so much scam and corruption around is sad. The recognition of that is also sad. And yet the recognition of it is also the way of doing something about
"I do not think scams and corruption in any sense is new in India but the fact that people are recognizing it more clearly, that must be a rather positive thing," he said.
He was also of the opinion that public critique has to be intelligent and addressed to issues which can be changed, are important and on which the general public could be made to take an informed interest and act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly