Corruption snatches common man`s progress: Rahul Gandhi
New Delhi: At a time when the allegations of graft and greed are hitting the Congress hard, party general secretary Rahul Gandhi said corruption snatches common people`s opportunity to progress and severe punishment to be given to the corrupt.
Without referring to the 2G spectrum scam or the Commonwealth scam or the Adarsh housing scandal, he prefaced his remarks by noting that “a number of issues relating to corruption have surfaced recently.” Gandhi was addressing at the Congress Plenary session.
Incidentally, Sonia Gandhi, during her presidential address in the planetary, also did not mention any of the scams.
"Whatever the Congress President has said on the issue,has given us inspiration to fight corruption. We require accountability...severe punishment should be given to the corrupt," he said at the Congress Plenary while participating in the debate on the political resolution.
The Congress general secretary in charge of Youth Congress and NSUI tried to play a new ‘definition’ for Congress to the public gallery and said that Congress party is a bridge between the aam admi and government.
“An aam aadmi is that person who is not connected to the system. It is congress which has given them a pehchan (an identity). Its policies aim at inclusive participation of individuals in the public system. The goal of the Congress party is to improve human life”
“It is because of the policy, the country has maintained a sustained growth”, he said.
Gandhi identified the aam admi in his speech.
"We call him the common man, but in fact he is unique," said Rahul.
"He builds this country every day of his life and yet our system crushes (him) at every step," Rahul said amidst huge applause by the delegates
"We must never forget the relationship between growth and distribution of opportunity," Gandhi said.
Immediately after Rahul Gandhi’s address, senior Congress leader Pranab Mukherjee said, “Some parts of our country especially the north-east have become the victim of terrorism. And we regret deeply for this.”
While parsing Rahul Gandhi and other young leaders of Congress Mukherjee added, “Young leaders of Congress party have shown their total commitment towards the country and party can see India in safe hands.”
Concluding his speech with the consent of other party members Mukherjee passed a resolution which includes mainly a demand of Govt probe in between RSS and other terror links.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings