Countdown begins, Presidential poll on July 19
New Delhi: The Election Commission of India announced the schedule for the Presidential elections on Tuesday. As per the schedule, announced by CEC VS Sampath in the national capital, voting to elect the new President of India will take place on 19 July. The notification for the same will be issued on June 16.
The last day for filing nominations is June 30 and the scrutiny will take place on July 02. The last for withdrawal of nominations is July 04 and the counting will take place on July 22.
The announcement of dates has thus set in motion the process of electing the person for the country`s top post.
President Pratibha Patil`s term ends on July 24. The notification for the last Presidential election was issued on June 13.
The EC has already started work on the checklist of 41 tasks for the Presidential election, officials said.
Speculation is rife about the next incumbent for the President`s post and a number of names are already doing the rounds with Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee emerging as the strongest contender.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre