Counter-terror training centre to be set up in Mumbai
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has decided to set up an urban counter terrorism training centre (UCTTC) in suburban Goregaon near here which would act as a quick response team and impart training to commandos.
According to a government resolution (GR), the training centre would be set up on 98.6 acres of land at Aarey Colony in the western suburb.
A decision to this effect was taken in the wake of rise in terror activities in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Thane, Nashik, Nagpur and other major cities in the state, the GR said.
"Considering the rise in terror strikes, the government was contemplating to set up a centre, which would act as a quick response team. The counter-terrorism centre would impart induction training, in-service training to the commandos and also conduct refresher courses," it said.
"The move to set up the UCTTC is part of the state government`s exercise to strengthen the police force and to make it more advanced," the GR said.
The UCTTC would also impart various types of training to the commandos in Force One and Quick Response Team (QRT). Force One is a specialised counter terrorism unit to guard the Mumbai metropolitan area, which was set up after the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
The chief of the UCTTC would be an officer of the rank of Additional Superintendent of Police and he would work under Special Inspector General of Police.
However, Director General of Police would decide on making various appointments and on the working system in the centre, it said.
"Officers, who have the knowledge of advanced weapons and also of handling explosives, would be recruited in the centre. Personnel from National Security Guard (NSG), Para commando, Army, state police and also officers from the state reserve police force would be taken on deputation in the centre," the GR said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'