Counter-terrorism, Pak dominate Chidambaram talks in US
Washington: Building on institutional exchanges between intelligence and law-enforcement agencies of India and the US has been the thrust of Indian Home Minister P. Chidambaram`s meetings with top officials of the Obama administration. This enhanced cooperation will be underlined in his meeting with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday evening.
Officials of the FBI, intelligence and security agencies have briefed Chidambaram, who arrived in Washington Wednesday, in detail on the anti-terror measures that they had undertaken after the 9/11 attacks.
"The objective behind this visit is to carry forward the dialogue with the US, especially with regard to the assessment of the security situation in South Asia and understanding counter-terrorism institutions," said a senior official of India`s home ministry.
In his various interactions with heads of intelligence and security agencies and influential lawmakers, the home minister is also making a forceful case to seek Washington`s intervention to make Pakistan take action against the perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attacks.
The Home Minister discussed the role of Pakistan in the Mumbai attacks and its non-action against the plotters on its soil with America`s National Security Adviser General James Jones.
Chidambaram also discussed these issues with two other top Obama officials -- Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Attorney General Eric H. Holder.
During his busy day, the Indian minister also met Senator Dianne Feinstein who heads the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, and Congressman Sylvester Reyes who is chairman of the House Select Committee on Intelligence.
Chidambaram will meet Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Thursday evening and then brief the media about the outcome of his visit to the US.
Earlier during his stay in New York, Chidambaram was briefed about the security of the mass transport system at Penn station, given a presentation by the New York Police Department and also told about the coast guard facility at Staten Island.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi