Counting for 6 Lok Sabha seats in J&K tomorrow
Jammu: The fate of 77 candidates, including Union ministers Farooq Abdullah and Ghulam Nabi Azad, from six Lok Sabha seats of Jammu and Kashmir will be known after the counting of votes tomorrow.
"Tight security arrangements have been made in and around the counting centres in five districts in Jammu and Kashmir. All other arrangements have also been put in place" , a senior officer of J&K Election department officer said today.
For Jammu Lok Sabha constituency, the counting will begin at Polytechnic College in Jammu from 8 am, followed by counting for Udhampur LS constituency in Kathua, Ladakh LS seat at Leh, Anantnag LS seat at Anantnag, Srinagar and Baramulla LS seats in Srinagar and Baramulla.
The six seats of Jammu and Kashmir witnessed a poll percentage of nearly 50 per cent as 70 lakh voters participated in the elections from the state.
This year`s Lok Sabha elections witnessed the highest ever turnout with 66.38 per cent of an estimated 814 million voters exercising their franchise -- the highest ever in the history of general elections.
The stakes are high for NC-Congress coalition in Lok Sabha polls ahead of December-end Assembly elections as political heavy weights and former J&K Chief Ministers Abdullah and Azad are in the fray along with its MPs. In last elections, the NC-congress coalition had bagged 5 out of 6 seats. Giving tough fight to NC-Congress coalition is opposition PDP with the party`s chief Mehbooba Mufti hoping to score a victory from Kashmir Valley in order to increase its electoral turf ahead of Assembly elections in J&K.
State BJP Chief Jugal Kishore Sharma and JKNPP Chief Prof Bhim Singh are contesting from Jammu region in the state.Union Minister Abdullah, who is candidate from NC bastion Srinagar Lok Sabha seat, has been Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir twice in 1987 and 1996.
Abdullah`s Cabinet colleague and Congress stalwart Ghulam Nabi Azad, who too is a former Chief Minister of J&K (between 2006 and 2008), contested the Lok Sabha election for the first time from his hometown Udhampur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'