Country can`t have 2 Constitutions, Article 370 has to go: VHP
Allahabad: In an apparent disapproval of BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s attempt to soften the party`s stand on Article 370 of the Constitution, VHP on Monday asserted that "a country can not have two Constitutions and any provision which allows this has to be abolished."
"The Article 370 enables the state of Jammu and Kashmir to have its own separate Constitution. That is tantamount to the notion of having a separate country within Bharat. This cannot be accepted at any cost and the Article must be abolished without dithering," VHP international working president Pravin Togadia said over phone from Gujarat.
Togadia also sought to revive the issue of a uniform civil code, which Sangh Parivar hardliners have often accused the BJP of having ignored under pressure from its political allies.
"There is a separate civil code in place for Muslims of the country. This too is not acceptable. Muslims living in India are as much the citizens of the country as others and hence it is imperative to have a civil code which is applicable to members of all communities," he said.
Modi at a rally in Jammu yesterday had said it should be debated whether the constitutional provision has been beneficial for the state and even hinted that it (BJP) might give up its demand for abrogation if such a view emerges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune