Country needs a PM who propounds Hindutva: RSS
New Delhi: Virtually backing Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as BJP’s Prime ministerial candidate, RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on Wednesday hit out at Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for his “secular PM” blabber.
“The country should have a Prime Minister who propounds hindutwa”, Bhagwat told reporters here.
“Nitish Kumar is scared to call himself a Hindu”, he added.
Bhagwat`s comments came a day after Bihar CM Nitish Kumar said that the NDA nominee for the Prime ministerial post for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections should be somebody with "secular credentials".
“To me, the leader of the coalition should have secular credentials. It should be someone who has absolute faith in democratic values,” Nitish had said in an interview to a newspaper.
“In a multi-religious and multi-lingual country like ours, the leader should not have rough edges in his personality. An alliance can win the confidence of the people only if the leader is seen as accommodating,” he added.
Kumar’s comment was an oblique reference to Modi who is seen as a Prime Ministerial candidate of BJP. He indirectly made it clear that JD(U) would not accept the leadership of Narendra Modi.
The Nitish-Modi rivalry has been on a high for the past few days. Modi took a dig at politicians from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar for what the Gujarat chief minister called "resort to caste-based politics".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India