Country should rethink its role in social investment: Prez
Guwahati: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday said the country should rethink its role in social investment and ways to morally uplift the society in view of the difficult times now.
"I don`t mean difficult times from the political perspective but mainly from the social point of view as certain recent events have shaped the collective consciousness of the nation," he said at a function here.
The brutal rape of the girl in Delhi shook the entire country. "It has made us sit back and rethink about our existence as a social being," he said.
"We have to rethink about our role in social investment and is it not the time to ponder and reset our moral compass," he said after giving away the Srimanta Sankardeva and Asom Ratna awards.
Highlighting the contribution of Srimanta Sankardeva not only to the Assamese society but also in other parts of the country, he said the Vaishnav saint had taken the initiative of discarding the artificial barriers of caste, creed and religion.
Sankardeva propagated the message of love, humanity and universal brotherhood and created new ideological perceptions which are still alive. The saint not only spread his philosophy through different forms of art, culture and literature but also instilled confidence in people that all are equal and that service of man is service of God.
"It is perhaps time to rekindle this spirit of humanism propounded by Sankardeva so many centuries ago and re-establish it to serve humanity in the best way to serve God and people," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues