Country should rethink its role in social investment: Prez
Guwahati: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday said the country should rethink its role in social investment and ways to morally uplift the society in view of the difficult times now.
"I don`t mean difficult times from the political perspective but mainly from the social point of view as certain recent events have shaped the collective consciousness of the nation," he said at a function here.
The brutal rape of the girl in Delhi shook the entire country. "It has made us sit back and rethink about our existence as a social being," he said.
"We have to rethink about our role in social investment and is it not the time to ponder and reset our moral compass," he said after giving away the Srimanta Sankardeva and Asom Ratna awards.
Highlighting the contribution of Srimanta Sankardeva not only to the Assamese society but also in other parts of the country, he said the Vaishnav saint had taken the initiative of discarding the artificial barriers of caste, creed and religion.
Sankardeva propagated the message of love, humanity and universal brotherhood and created new ideological perceptions which are still alive. The saint not only spread his philosophy through different forms of art, culture and literature but also instilled confidence in people that all are equal and that service of man is service of God.
"It is perhaps time to rekindle this spirit of humanism propounded by Sankardeva so many centuries ago and re-establish it to serve humanity in the best way to serve God and people," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official