Country will never accept Modi: Digvijay
Indore: Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh has said that the country will never accept Gujarat Chief Minister and BJP`s possible prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi as he cannot keep the nation united.
"A person, who, because of his personal ambitions, broke his own alliance and created a controversy in his own party can neither keep the nation united, nor the people will ever accept him," Singh said here last night during a programme held by an association of Employees` Provident Fund ORganisation (EPFO).
Modi was not an issue for the Congress, Digvijay pointed out while saying that his party was not fighting against any individual, but the ideology of spreading communalism.
BJP had always been working for religious polarisation in the country, Digvijay said and also alleged that the party was also behind the recent communal violence in Muzaffarnagar.
The Congress leader, who has been charged with giving government land to self-styled godman Asaram Bapu in Indore in 1998 when he was the state Chief Minister, distanced himself from the controversial preacher and said that his only guru was Shankaracharya Swaroopanand Saraswati.
He said that in 1998, all political parties had recommended that land be alloted to Asaram since none of them were aware of his character and what he would do in future.
The 72-year-old godman is presently in judicial custody after being arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl at his ashram.
Digvijay said the lease given to the trust owned by Asaram should be cancelled and the land be taken back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range