Couple in runaway marriage should be protected: Court
New Delhi: Runaway marriages and inter-caste weddings are manifestation of general changes in the caste-ridden Indian society which should not be looked down upon and law enforcing agencies should protect such couples from harassment, a Delhi court has ruled.
"Runaway marriages are manifestation of general change and are a result of stringent caste system. Such marriages should not be looked with bad eyes," Civil Judge Samar Vishal said directing the police to give due protection to a young couple.
The parents of a forward caste girl, who married a scheduled caste boy, was restrained from interfering in their life by the court which noted that they were living under constant fear and had taken shelter at a secret place.
"Harassment of couples who married against wishes of their parents is not alien to our society, basically when the marriage is inter-caste and inter-religious," the court said, noting the girl is major and married on her own free will.
The girl, who is 18-year-old, had married the boy at a Arya Samaj temple, on July 15 this year.
The couple complained that girl`s parents had given them an open threat to liquidate them.
"There is no dearth of incidents in our country where such persons are harassed for marrying against wishes of their parents. It even involves barbarous crime of honour killing.”
"It is obligation of the defendants (girl`s parents) not to interfere in the married life of the plaintiffs (couple) as they are major and free to act as they like to...," the court said in its order. The court also said that it was the duty of the administration as well as police to see that the persons who are major and marry on their own free will, are protected.
The couple, who were from Wazirabad in north Delhi, alleged that the girl`s parents wanted to marry her off within their own caste and sought a direction to the police to give
The girl`s parents appeared in the court and assured that they would not interfere in her life but wanted the couple to reside in another locality as the marriage has tarnished their reputation.
The court, which recorded statements of the parents of the girl, gave direction to the SHO Timarpur to give due protection to the couple and to consider any complaint by them regarding their safety and security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India