Court asks govt to expedite Bhanwari case probe
New Delhi: The Rajasthan government on Monday filed a status report in the Jodhpur High Court on its probe into the suspected kidnapping and murder of Auxiliary Nurse Midwife (ANM) Bhanwari Devi.
The government was instructed by the HC to expedite the investigation into the case.
The court had earlier admitted a habeas corpus petition filed by Bhanwari Devi’s husband and issued notices to the Home Secretary and senior police officers in this connection.
A Division Bench comprising justices CM Totla and Sangeet Lodha had asked the police to submit a report pertaining to the progress of investigations into the missing woman case by September 22.
The habeas corpus petition was filed by Amarchand, husband of Bhanwari Devi who went missing on September 1.
Amarchand had alleged involvement of a powerful minister in the disappearance of Devi.
Admitting the habeas corpus petition, the Bench issued notices to the Home Secretary, IGP (Jodhpur Range), SP (Jodhpur rural) and other police officers.
Counsel for the petitioner argued the police were not investigating the case fairly and were trying to hush-up the matter.
Bhanwari Devi, 36, was posted as ANM at a sub-centre in Jaliwada village when she went missing.
On September 15, the Rajasthan government had referred the case to the CBI.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark