New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday sought the
Tihar Jail`s superintendent explanation as to how the 11
accused of 2008 serial terror blasts here were transferred to
the Ahmedabad Central jail.
Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann sought the
explanation after the 11 accused, now lodged at Ahmedabad
jail, were not produced before it, which led to deferment of
framing of charges against 13 accused, out of whom two are
lodged at Tihar jail in Delhi.
"I deem it just and proper to seek a report from the
superintendent, Central Jail, Tihar, as to under what
circumstances and under whose order the accused arrested in
Delhi were transferred to Ahmedabad central prison," the court
said while listing the matter for further hearing on March 24.
The court also issued fresh production warrants for
the accused lodged in Ahmedabad jail.
"Fresh production warrants are directed to be issued to
the Superintendent, Ahmedabad central prison, for production
of the 11 accused lodged there before this court on March 24,"
the judge said.
CBI told the court they have received a fax from the
Superintendent of Ahmedabad central jail saying a special
court there had passed an order yesterday that no transit
warrant may be granted at this stage.
The agency said Ahmedabad`s special court had passed the
order taking note of the fact that the Supreme Court has
stayed further proceedings related to one of the cases of the
blasts pending before it and the matter was fixed for hearing
in the apex court on Tuesday.
The court had earlier asked the Ahmedabad-based
Sabarmati Jail Superintendent to explain his failure in
producing before it the 11 accused involved in the September
2008 serial blasts.
The court was also irked by a communication sent by the
Ahmedabad city Police Commissioner to the Delhi police seeking
armed escorts from the latter for ferrying the accused from
Sabarmati Jail to Delhi, saying it was "interfering with
The court had earlier decided to frame charges against
the accused 13 for waging war against the state and killing
people in September 13, 2008, serial blasts which claimed 26
lives and left 135 others injured.
The court had discharged one of the accused, Salman,
as no material evidence pointing to his involvement in the
blasts was found.
The charges will be framed against Mohd Shakeel, Mohd
Saif, Zeeshan Ahmed, Zia-ur-Rehaman, Saquib Nisar, Mohd
Sadique, Kayamuddin Kapadia, Mohd Hakim, Mohd Mansoor Ashgar
Peerbhoy, Mubin Kadar Sheikh, Asif Bashiruddin, Mohd Akbar
Ismail Chaudhary and Shahzad Ahmed.
Five cases were registered in connection with the serial
blasts at Gaffar Market in Karol Bagh, Barakhamba Road in
Connaught Place, M-Block Market in Greater Kailash and
recovery of a bomb near India Gate.
Of the 14 accused, five were arrested by the Delhi police
following an encounter at Batla House here on September 19,
2008. Of the remaining, four were apprehended by the Mumbai
police, three by the Uttar Pradesh police and one each by the
Hyderabad and Madhya Pradesh police.
Two of those involved in the blasts, Atif Ameen, alleged
leader of the Indian Mujahideen, and another suspect Mohd
Sajid, were killed in the gun battle at Jamia Nagar in south
The encounter at Jamia Nagar area claimed the life of
Delhi Police Inspector M C Sharma.
Most of the accused are natives of Azamgarh district in