Court awards five-year jail to suspected LeT operative
New Delhi: A suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) operative, who was recruiting youths in India in the name of `Jihad`, has been sent to jail for five years by a Delhi court for possessing fake currency and supplying money for terrorist activities here.
Additional Sessions judge Daya Prakash handed down the jail term to Mohammad Umer Madani, who was a teacher in Nepal, after holding him guilty under the provisions of the stringent anti-terror law Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and for possessing forged or counterfeit currency.
Madani was convicted by the court after he admitted his guilt for the offences and prayed for leniency.
"During pendency of prosecution evidence, accused (Madani) filed an application for pleading guilt. Keeping in view the same, the further proceedings in the present case were stopped and statement of accused Umer Madani was recorded.
"In statement of accused under section 313 CrPC, all the incriminating evidence against accused was put up to which he admitted the guilt and prayed for lenient view," the court said.
According to special cell of Delhi police, in May 2009 an information was received that Madani, a native of Bihar, was settled in Nepal after taking training for LeT in Pakistan.
The police alleged he was recruiting the youths in India in the name of `Jihad` and was sending them to Pakistan for training.
It had also said that on the instructions of LeT, Madani was collecting huge consignments of terror fund and had come to India to supply it to different modules.
The police said that on June 4, 2009, Madani was arrested and was found in possessions of some papers, diaries, personal belongings, Rs 4,067 of Nepal currency, US dollars and some fake currency.
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part V
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- This novel genetic method could lead to vaccine for life-threatening cancer!
- Heatwave continues to sweep several parts of country; Odisha records highest maximum temperature of 46.3 degrees Celsius
- BJP denies Sonia Gandhi's character assassination charge in chopper deal
- EC deploys more police observers for 5th phase of poll in West Bengal
- West Bengal polls: Mamata rakes up 2G scam, slams Congress, BJP, CPI(M)