Court concerned over deteriorating law and order
New Delhi: A Delhi court has expressed
concern over deteriorating law and order in the country while
sentencing two youths to seven years in prison for robbing a
man of his wallet and other valuables.
"Law and order situation has been deteriorating in the
country. Instances of young persons getting involved in
criminal activities like robbing innocent persons by putting
them under threat of death, are also on the rise," Additional
Sessions Judge Kamini Lau said.
"The criminals are unhesitatingly and indiscriminately
using dangerous arms on helpless victims who may or not offer
any resistance, thereby, spreading terror in the society and
affecting social order and the faith of people in the system,"
the court said in a recent order.
The judge also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 each on the
two convicts - Harish Kumar Arora and Kuldeep, both in their
early twenties, while rejecting their plea of leniency, saying
it would erode the deterrence against such crimes.
"No leniency can be shown to persons who have no respect
for the law. Anyone who does not hesitate to take the law in
his hands for pure monetary reasons does not deserve any
leniency," the judge said.
Lau said if a lenient view is taken towards those who
take law in their hands for monetary benefits, then "leniency
would be misused".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling