Court concerned over deteriorating law and order
New Delhi: A Delhi court has expressed
concern over deteriorating law and order in the country while
sentencing two youths to seven years in prison for robbing a
man of his wallet and other valuables.
"Law and order situation has been deteriorating in the
country. Instances of young persons getting involved in
criminal activities like robbing innocent persons by putting
them under threat of death, are also on the rise," Additional
Sessions Judge Kamini Lau said.
"The criminals are unhesitatingly and indiscriminately
using dangerous arms on helpless victims who may or not offer
any resistance, thereby, spreading terror in the society and
affecting social order and the faith of people in the system,"
the court said in a recent order.
The judge also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 each on the
two convicts - Harish Kumar Arora and Kuldeep, both in their
early twenties, while rejecting their plea of leniency, saying
it would erode the deterrence against such crimes.
"No leniency can be shown to persons who have no respect
for the law. Anyone who does not hesitate to take the law in
his hands for pure monetary reasons does not deserve any
leniency," the judge said.
Lau said if a lenient view is taken towards those who
take law in their hands for monetary benefits, then "leniency
would be misused".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands