Court concerned over deteriorating law and order
New Delhi: A Delhi court has expressed
concern over deteriorating law and order in the country while
sentencing two youths to seven years in prison for robbing a
man of his wallet and other valuables.
"Law and order situation has been deteriorating in the
country. Instances of young persons getting involved in
criminal activities like robbing innocent persons by putting
them under threat of death, are also on the rise," Additional
Sessions Judge Kamini Lau said.
"The criminals are unhesitatingly and indiscriminately
using dangerous arms on helpless victims who may or not offer
any resistance, thereby, spreading terror in the society and
affecting social order and the faith of people in the system,"
the court said in a recent order.
The judge also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 each on the
two convicts - Harish Kumar Arora and Kuldeep, both in their
early twenties, while rejecting their plea of leniency, saying
it would erode the deterrence against such crimes.
"No leniency can be shown to persons who have no respect
for the law. Anyone who does not hesitate to take the law in
his hands for pure monetary reasons does not deserve any
leniency," the judge said.
Lau said if a lenient view is taken towards those who
take law in their hands for monetary benefits, then "leniency
would be misused".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning