Court defers order on CBI`s move to withdraw Bofors case
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday deferred till May 15 pronouncement of its order on a plea of a lawyer objecting to CBI`s move to withdraw the two-decade-old Bofors
pay-off case against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja adjourned the matter after Additional Solicitor General PP Malhotra submitted that the original records, which were sent to the
Supreme Court, have yet not been returned.
Advocate Ajay Agrawal, who had moved the court against CBI`s action to withdraw the case on October three last year, filed some additional records in furtherance of his objection.
He had earlier argued that the appeal filed by him in October 2005 in the matter was still pending before the apex court.
He had claimed that CBI had not filed the appeal against the Delhi High Court judgment discharging some accused in the case.
Quattrocchi, 70, the sole surviving accused in the case after the Delhi High Court quashed the charges on May 31, 2005 against other accused, has never appeared before any court in the country.
CBI had failed on two occasions in its attempt to get Quattrocchi extradited -- first from Malaysia in 2003 and then from Argentina in 2007.
In November last year, the agency had asked the Interpol to take Quattrocchi`s name off the Red Corner notice list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video