Court dismisses plea for Patkar`s prosecution for perjury
New Delhi: A Delhi court Wednesday dismissed an application seeking prosecution of Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) leader Medha Patkar for allegedly filing fake medical
certificate to seek exemption from personal appearance in two criminal defamation cases.
"Arguments on perjury application heard. Documents perused. Application is dismissed," Metropolitan magistrate Munish Markan said while dismissing the plea of complainant V
K Saxena. The advocate representing Saxena, who was not present in the court today, sought adjournment for advancing arguments on the application seeking prosecution of the NBA leader on the ground that she had taken exemption from personal appearance in the case on March 3, 2009 on the basis of false medical certificate.
The court declined the request by dismissing the application and fixed the matter for hearing the arguments on issuance of notice in the two defamation cases filed by Saxena
and Patkar against each other.
"It is a sponsored litigation. It is correct that I took part in a Dharna at Nandurbar in Maharashtra. However, I was advised against travelling long distances and because of
this I could not appear before this court," V K Ohri, counsel for Patkar, said.
Patkar did not appear on March 3, 2009, and had sought exemption from personal appearance on the ground that she was ill by allegedly filing fake medical certificate.
Patkar had furnished a medical certificate issued by a hospital in Maharashtra.
Saxena, President of National Council for Civil Liberties (NCCL), in his application, had questioned the veracity of the medical report claiming that on the day, she was busy staging a `dharna` at the collector`s office at Nandurbar in Maharashtra.
Two cases, one filed by Patkar and another by Saxena against each other, are pending in the court.
The NBA activist had filed a criminal defamation case in Delhi against Saxena in 2000 for allegedly publishing advertisements against her and the activities of NBA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey