Court dismisses suit against Prasar Bharati chief
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Friday dismissed a lawsuit challenging the government`s decision to give extension to Prasar Bharati Chief Executive Officer (CEO) BS Lalli.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice S. Muralidhar dismissed the petition of NGO, Centre for Public Interest Litigation, which had alleged that Lalli`s extention is not within the law.
The high court had earlier reserved its order on the petition. The bench had reserved its verdict after hearing the contention of the central government, Lalli and the petitioner.
Additional Solicitor General Parag Tripathi had said during the hearing that the CEO`s tenure got extended as the government had brought amendment in law and increased the upper age limit for the post from 62 to 65 years.
It was alleged that Lalli, who was appointed in 2006, was to retire in April this year after attaining 62 years of age but his tenure was extended after the government applied the amendment with retrospective effect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...