Court examines school principal to ascertain age of IM suspect
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday examined a
principal of a school to ascertain the claim of a suspected
Indian Mujahideen terrorist, who was arrested in connection
with serial blasts here in 2008, that he was a minor at the
time of the incident and be tried under milder penal law.
"As per the records, the accused was admitted in Shri
Mahadev Inter College, Sikraur, in Azamgarh and his date of
birth certificate is October 3, 1992," the principal testified
before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja.
The teacher, however, failed to produce any original
document regarding the admission of the IM suspect in the
"The records pertaining to the admission are normally
destroyed after a period of time," he said.
Meanwhile, the court asked Rita Mandal, Principal of a
Mumbai-based school, to appear and testify on April 20 on the
issue of date of birth of the IM suspect who also studied
Salman alias Chotu, who claims himself to be a minor,
was arrested on March six by Anti-Terrorism Squad of Uttar
Pradesh Police from Siddarth Nagar for his alleged role in the
serial blasts in the national capital on September 13, 2008.
The accused, in the application, had alleged he was
juvenile at the time of serial blasts that had claimed 26
lives and left over 135 other injured.
He had produced a class X marksheet issued by Uttar
Pradesh Secondary Education Board stating his date of birth as
October three, 1992.
The police, however, had claimed there were
contradictory reports with regard to his date of birth as the
passport obtained by him on forged documents from Nepal showed
it to be May 27, 1985.
The AIIMS, which was directed to constitute a medical
board, had opined that his age was between 25 and 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof