Court extends custody of Abhishek Verma, his wife for 5 days
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Sunday extended till June 21 the CBI custody of businessman Abhishek Verma and his Romanian wife, arrested for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arms firm for keeping it out of Indian government`s blacklist.
Verma and his newly-wed Romanian wife Ancia Neascu were produced before Special CBI Judge Talwant Singh who extended their remand after the agency said they need to be confronted with e-mails and other documents recovered during the probe.
"Both the accused are remanded to the CBI custody till June 21," the judge said.
The CBI sought the couple`s custody for seven days, saying that the probe in the case is still going on.
Advocate Vijay Aggarwal, who appeared for the accused, however, opposed the CBI`s plea arguing that the agency should give stronger reasons for seeking extension of the remand.
"All the investigation is going on in Delhi and the CBI should give stronger reasons for extension of remand," he said.
The couple was arrested by the CBI on June 8 after the agency registered of a fresh case against them.
In the new case, Verma has been accused of taking USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) for using his influence to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam had surfaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video