Court extends custody of Abhishek Verma, his wife for 5 days
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Sunday extended till June 21 the CBI custody of businessman Abhishek Verma and his Romanian wife, arrested for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arms firm for keeping it out of Indian government`s blacklist.
Verma and his newly-wed Romanian wife Ancia Neascu were produced before Special CBI Judge Talwant Singh who extended their remand after the agency said they need to be confronted with e-mails and other documents recovered during the probe.
"Both the accused are remanded to the CBI custody till June 21," the judge said.
The CBI sought the couple`s custody for seven days, saying that the probe in the case is still going on.
Advocate Vijay Aggarwal, who appeared for the accused, however, opposed the CBI`s plea arguing that the agency should give stronger reasons for seeking extension of the remand.
"All the investigation is going on in Delhi and the CBI should give stronger reasons for extension of remand," he said.
The couple was arrested by the CBI on June 8 after the agency registered of a fresh case against them.
In the new case, Verma has been accused of taking USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) for using his influence to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam had surfaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections