Court free to probe Ishrat Jahan case, rules SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday said that the Gujarat High Court is free to appoint any agency to investigate Ishrat Jahan shootout case.
The apex court passed this order after RK Raghvan, the head of Special Investigative Team (SIT), refused to undertake the probe into the matter.
The Supreme Court-appointed SIT was directed by the Gujarat High Court to undertake fresh investigations into the Ishrat Jahan shootout case in which three others were also killed.
The Supreme Court Monday also issued a notice on the Gujarat government`s petition, challenging the high court verdict that Chief Metropolitan Magistrate S.C. Tamang`s report on Ishrat Jahan shootout case was within its jurisdiction.
The high court had passed this order after the state government challenged Tamang`s report, wherein he had contested the state police claim on Mumbai college girl Ishrat Jahan`s shootout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket