Court free to probe Ishrat Jahan case, rules SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday said that the Gujarat High Court is free to appoint any agency to investigate Ishrat Jahan shootout case.
The apex court passed this order after RK Raghvan, the head of Special Investigative Team (SIT), refused to undertake the probe into the matter.
The Supreme Court-appointed SIT was directed by the Gujarat High Court to undertake fresh investigations into the Ishrat Jahan shootout case in which three others were also killed.
The Supreme Court Monday also issued a notice on the Gujarat government`s petition, challenging the high court verdict that Chief Metropolitan Magistrate S.C. Tamang`s report on Ishrat Jahan shootout case was within its jurisdiction.
The high court had passed this order after the state government challenged Tamang`s report, wherein he had contested the state police claim on Mumbai college girl Ishrat Jahan`s shootout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country