Court gets docs against Abhishek Verma, wife
New Delhi: A Delhi court has handed over to the CBI some documents, purportedly sent to it by an NGO and linked to a case against businessman Abhishek Verma, arrested for allegedly bribing some government officials to stall the blacklisting of a Swiss arms firm by the government.
While entrusting the documents to the CBI, probing the case against Verma and his Romanian wife, Special CBI Judge Sanjeev Jain asked the agency to examine them and take action on them, if warranted.
The court passed on the documents to the CBI yesterday, while rejecting the bail plea of Verma`s newly-wed wife Anca Maria Neacsu. The court had received two envelopes, containing some documents, a few days earlier.
The court said the envelopes were purportedly sent by post by Transparency (India) International, Jawahar Bhawan in Lajpat Nagar and the documents appeared to be related to the ongoing probe against Verma and his wife.
Transparency (India) International is the India chapter of the international civil society, Transparency International. The NGO claims to be fighting corruption.
"In the first look, the documents contained in these two envelopes appears to be related to the ongoing investigation of this case.
"The order on bail application of accused (Anca) is without being influenced by the material sent through above mentioned envelopes. However, the copies of the documents...Be given by Ahlmad to the investigating officer of this case for consideration and necessary action (if any)," the judge said.
The court had yesterday dismissed the bail plea of Anca saying she was in a position to influence witnesses and tamper with the evidence related to Ganton India and Ganton USA, in which she was a managing director and director respectively. The firms are said to be Vermas` front companies.
In the present case, Verma has been accused of taking USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) for using his influence to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam had surfaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack