Court gets docs against Abhishek Verma, wife
New Delhi: A Delhi court has handed over to the CBI some documents, purportedly sent to it by an NGO and linked to a case against businessman Abhishek Verma, arrested for allegedly bribing some government officials to stall the blacklisting of a Swiss arms firm by the government.
While entrusting the documents to the CBI, probing the case against Verma and his Romanian wife, Special CBI Judge Sanjeev Jain asked the agency to examine them and take action on them, if warranted.
The court passed on the documents to the CBI yesterday, while rejecting the bail plea of Verma`s newly-wed wife Anca Maria Neacsu. The court had received two envelopes, containing some documents, a few days earlier.
The court said the envelopes were purportedly sent by post by Transparency (India) International, Jawahar Bhawan in Lajpat Nagar and the documents appeared to be related to the ongoing probe against Verma and his wife.
Transparency (India) International is the India chapter of the international civil society, Transparency International. The NGO claims to be fighting corruption.
"In the first look, the documents contained in these two envelopes appears to be related to the ongoing investigation of this case.
"The order on bail application of accused (Anca) is without being influenced by the material sent through above mentioned envelopes. However, the copies of the documents...Be given by Ahlmad to the investigating officer of this case for consideration and necessary action (if any)," the judge said.
The court had yesterday dismissed the bail plea of Anca saying she was in a position to influence witnesses and tamper with the evidence related to Ganton India and Ganton USA, in which she was a managing director and director respectively. The firms are said to be Vermas` front companies.
In the present case, Verma has been accused of taking USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) for using his influence to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam had surfaced.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged