Court gives Tunda`s custody to Hyderabad Police
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday allowed a plea of Hyderabad Police seeking custody of LeT bomb expert Abdul Karim Tunda in connection with a case lodged against him and others in 1998 on charges of waging war against India.
Additional Sessions Judge Dharmesh Sharma allowed the plea after the Special Cell of Delhi Police, which is investigating various cases involving Tunda, said they have no objection to Hyderabad Police`s application.
"The application moved by Inspector B K Rao (of Hyderabad Police) is allowed. The Superintendent, Tihar Jail, is directed to hand over the custody of accused Abdul Karim Tunda to B K Rao and his team after proper verification tomorrow to enable the police officials of Hyderabad to produced the accused before the special court Hyderabad," the judge said.
The special investigation team of Hyderabad Police had moved the court on October 1 seeking Tunda`s custody after the accused was remanded to judicial custody till October 15 in connection with a 1997 bomb blast case lodged against him here.
During the hearing, advocate M S Khan, who appeared for Tunda, told the court that Hyderabad Police should be directed to produce Tunda here after his custodial interrogation gets over there and the accused should be allowed to take prescribed medicines during the remand.
At this juncture, the court asked Rao about it and he said that they would produce Tunda here after his custodial interrogation is over.
"In view of the undertaking (of Rao), the special court Hyderabad is requested that after investigation qua accused Abdul Karim Tunda is over, he be send back to Delhi as he is required here for investigation of several pending cases by the special cell of Delhi Police," the court said.
Rao also told the court that they would take Tunda to Hyderabad by air.
The Hyderabad Police had moved the plea before the court seeking Tunda`s custody, saying that a production warrant was issued against him by a court in Nampally in Hyderabad in connection with the case lodged against him and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror