Court grants bail to Jagdish Tytler in forgery case
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday granted bail to Congress leader Jagdish Tytler, chargesheeted along with controversial businessman Abhishek Verma in a case of alleged forgery of a letter sent to the Prime Minister.
"Bail is granted on a personal bond of Rs two lakh with two sureties of the like amount subject to conditions," Special CBI Judge V K Gupta said.
Tytler had appeared in the court today in pursuance to its summons and moved a bail plea, saying he was not required for any custodial interrogation.
Senior advocate Dinesh Mathur, appearing for Tytler, said the Congress leader`s name was added in the charge sheet as an accused at the last moment and it cannot be a case of arrest as he has appeared before the court. Section 420 (cheating) of IPC is not made out against Tytler, he argued.
The bail application was opposed by CBI prosecutor Atul Sharma who argued that Tytler is a "very influential person" and can tamper with the evidence and influence the witnesses.
The court, on September 6, had taken cognisance of CBI`s charge sheet which was filed on a complaint of then Minister of State for Home Ajay Maken that a forged letter on his letterhead was written to the Prime Minister by Verma seeking easing of business visa norms in 2009.
Tytler and Verma have been chargesheeted for offence of attempting to cheat under IPC and under provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Verma is lodged in Tihar Jail after being arrested in various cases lodged against him by CBI and Enforcement Directorate. Verma and his wife Anca Maria, who are presently in judicial custody, were also produced before the court during the hearing.
CBI has alleged that Tytler had "actively connived" with Verma to cheat a Chinese telecom firm and the Congress leader had first shown a "fake and forged" letter to the company`s officials, claiming that it was written by Maken to the Prime Minister.
CBI, in its charge sheet, has said, "Investigation has, therefore, revealed that Jagdish Tytler had knowingly and actively connived with Abhishek Verma in attempting to cheat M/s ZTE Telecom India Pvt Ltd."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference