Court grants CBI two days custody of IAAS officer
Chennai: A CBI Court here today granted the investigating agency two days custody of A Paramasivam, an officer of the Indian Audits and Accounts Service (IAAS), arrested in connection with a graft case.
Paramasivam was posted as a Director in the office of the Director General of Audit, Central Expenditure, in the national capital.
He was arrested by Delhi CBI on April 21 and was brought to Chennai on a transit warrant.
His relative, Sivaram Tilagar, a Medical Officer in Kancheepuram in Tamil Nadu was arrested in Chennai while allegedly taking the bribe amount of Rs five lakh.
CBI arrested the duo after it received a complaint against them asking for a bribe in return for granting favours to a nursing college in Chennai.
The agency had said that Paramasivam had demanded Rs 35 lakh as bribe for regularising the irregularities of a nursing college being run by the complainant in Chennai and directed the complainant to pay the first instalment of Rs 5 lakh to his brother-in-law at a designated place in the Tamil Nadu capital.
The CBI filed an application before the court here seeking his custody for a week.
The CBI Special Judge Vanangamudi granted a two days custody and directed the CBI officials of Chennai to produce him before the court on April 23 before 5 PM.
A CBI spokesperson had said in Delhi yesterday that searches were conducted at seven places at Melamaniachi, Tirunelveli, Kancheepuram, Chennai, New Delhi and Noida and cash of Rs 1,01,61,000 recovered.
Twelve immovable property documents from the residence of Paramasivam and nine immovable property documents from the residence of Tilagar and certain documents were also recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh