Court grants divorce to man whose wife is HIV positive
Madurai: The Madurai bench of Madras High Court has ruled that venereal disease and HIV positive are the same condition while granting divorce to a man whose wife was HIV positive.
Justice R S Ramanathan said when one spouse is HIV positive, the other is entitled for a divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act.
Allowing an appeal by a lorry driver, the judge noted that when the Act came into existence in 1955, HIV was unheard of, but not Venereal Disease. But as per Section 13(v) of the Act, if a spouse suffers from a communicable venereal disease, it is a valid ground for divorce, he said.
Stating that he had made an exhaustive study of both diseases from various sources, the judge said he had come to the conclusion that HIV also was a communicable disease like venereal disease.
He rejected the contention that HIV-positive condition is not included under Section 13(v)of the act and therefore, divorce cannot be granted.
The matter relates to the matrimonial dispute between the couple from Sankagiri in Salem district. A sub court had dissolved their marriage on Apr 3, 2007. But the Additional District Court there allowed the appeal by the man and said divorce could not be granted.
Ravikumar`s wife`s counsel denied she is HIV-positive and argued that she could have got it only through her driver husband, who frequents various places during his duty.
She said while the Hindu Marriage Act had specifically stated that venereal diseases in a communicable form and could be a ground for divorce, it had nowhere said that HIV-positive condition could be a ground for dissolution of a marriage.
The woman also refused to undergo any tests though she was asked to do so twice by the court. But Ravikumar complied with the order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof