Court issues warrant against gangster Salem in extortion case
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday issued a
fresh production warrant against underworld don Abu Salem
after Mumbai police failed to produce him in a case lodged in
2005 for allegedly making call to a Delhi-based businessman
demanding Rs five crore as protection money.
"Issue production warrant against Abu Salem for
October 26," Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Pinki, who was to
hear arguments on framing of charges in the case, said.
The court had on September 10 also issued a production
warrant against Salem as the police could not bring him from
Salem, meanwhile, has approached the Portuguese
Supreme Court against the order of the ASJ who had rejected
the plea of Delhi police seeking dropping of charges under
tough MCOCA against him.
The gangster has claimed that his impending trial
under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act was in
violation of the extradition terms agreed to between India and
Portugal from where he was extradited in 2005.
The court, however, had said mere omission of MCOCA in
the extradition terms did not make any difference as Portugal
knew that Salem`s extradition was sought because of his
involvement in organised crimes as well.
Salem was booked under MCOCA and other provisions of
the IPC for allegedly making extortion calls to Delhi-based
businessman Ashok Gupta, demanding Rs five crore as protection
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!