Court issues warrant against gangster Salem in extortion case
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday issued a
fresh production warrant against underworld don Abu Salem
after Mumbai police failed to produce him in a case lodged in
2005 for allegedly making call to a Delhi-based businessman
demanding Rs five crore as protection money.
"Issue production warrant against Abu Salem for
October 26," Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Pinki, who was to
hear arguments on framing of charges in the case, said.
The court had on September 10 also issued a production
warrant against Salem as the police could not bring him from
Salem, meanwhile, has approached the Portuguese
Supreme Court against the order of the ASJ who had rejected
the plea of Delhi police seeking dropping of charges under
tough MCOCA against him.
The gangster has claimed that his impending trial
under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act was in
violation of the extradition terms agreed to between India and
Portugal from where he was extradited in 2005.
The court, however, had said mere omission of MCOCA in
the extradition terms did not make any difference as Portugal
knew that Salem`s extradition was sought because of his
involvement in organised crimes as well.
Salem was booked under MCOCA and other provisions of
the IPC for allegedly making extortion calls to Delhi-based
businessman Ashok Gupta, demanding Rs five crore as protection
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22