Court Martial in Sukna begins, first against a Lt Gen
Shillong: Marking the first such trial of a three-star General for involvement in a corruption, the court martial of Lt Gen P K Rath began here today in connection with
the Sukna land scam.
On the first day of the trial, Rath sought an adjournment and his plea was accepted by presiding officer of the General Court Martial Lt Gen I J Singh, army sources told
Earlier, the court martial was slated to begin on August 30 but was postponed for two weeks on Rath`s request. Rath was indicted along with two other Lt Generals and a Major General by an Army Court of Inquiry for issuing no objection certificates to private realtors for building educational institutions on a 70-acre plot of land adjacent to the Sukna military station in West Bengal.
After the Court of Inquiry submitted its report last year, disciplinary action was recommended against Rath and the then Military Secretary Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash and
administrative action was initiated against Lt Gen Ramesh Halgali and Maj Gen P K Sen. Halgali was recently promoted as Director General, Military Training, and posted to Army Headquarters here after serving as 11 Corps Commander in Jalandhar.
Summary of Evidence (SOE) against Prakash in the case is still continuing at Army`s Eastern Command Headquarters in Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Amitabh Bachchan to bat for girl child rights at Modi's achievement bash
- Zareen Khan credits Bollywood innings to Salman Khan
- From Eden to Nabanna: Minister Laxmi Shukla "ready" for 2nd innings
- Lalu, Farooq Abdullah bat for secular front against BJP
- Tata Group enters e-commerce market with apparel, electronics website