Court Martial in Sukna begins, first against a Lt Gen
Shillong: Marking the first such trial of a three-star General for involvement in a corruption, the court martial of Lt Gen P K Rath began here today in connection with
the Sukna land scam.
On the first day of the trial, Rath sought an adjournment and his plea was accepted by presiding officer of the General Court Martial Lt Gen I J Singh, army sources told
Earlier, the court martial was slated to begin on August 30 but was postponed for two weeks on Rath`s request. Rath was indicted along with two other Lt Generals and a Major General by an Army Court of Inquiry for issuing no objection certificates to private realtors for building educational institutions on a 70-acre plot of land adjacent to the Sukna military station in West Bengal.
After the Court of Inquiry submitted its report last year, disciplinary action was recommended against Rath and the then Military Secretary Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash and
administrative action was initiated against Lt Gen Ramesh Halgali and Maj Gen P K Sen. Halgali was recently promoted as Director General, Military Training, and posted to Army Headquarters here after serving as 11 Corps Commander in Jalandhar.
Summary of Evidence (SOE) against Prakash in the case is still continuing at Army`s Eastern Command Headquarters in Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened