Court martial to be reconvened against Gen Rath
New Delhi: The Army has ordered reconvening
of Court Martial, which had awarded a sentence of two-year
loss of seniority to Lt Gen PK Rath in Sukna land scam, to
look afresh into the charges against him.
The move was justified by Defence Minister AK Antony as
a reflection of the government`s "determination to fight
against corruption" but Rath`s lawyer questioned it, saying it
raises "doubts over the efficacy and independence" of the
military`s judicial system.
Eastern Army Commander, the convening authority in the
2008 land scam, has directed the GCM to reconvene on July 11
and look again at the charges against Rath, former 33 Corps
Commander, regarding issuance of No-objection Certificate to
private builders for constructing an educational institution
adjacent to Sukna base, sources said.
The Command has contended that the GCM has not
considered the "evidence" properly and asked it to reconsider
the charges again at Shillong on July 11, they said.
Rath was facing seven charges but GCM found him guilty
on three counts and four other charges including that of
`intent to defraud` were dropped.
Antony, when asked about the reconsideration of the
trial against Rath, said,"this shows our determination to
fight against corruption."
"This reconvening of the GCM to reconsider its findings
raises doubts over the efficacy and independence of Army`s
judicial system," Rath`s counsel Maj SS Pandey said while
reacting to the development.
Rath was, on January 22, given a sentence of two-year
loss of seniority and 15 years of loss of service for
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India