Court orders fresh guidelines on parole within six weeks

Last Updated: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 20:19

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court today
accepted the fresh guidelines framed by the city government on
parole for convicts and asked it to implement it within six
weeks.

The government assured a bench headed by Chief Justice A
P Shah that it would no longer sit over parole plea and would
decide in a time-bound manner within a month.

According to the guidelines, parole would not be granted
to prisoners who had been convicted for murder and rape of
minor children, murder after rape, not citizens of India and
who had escaped from jail.

The government will grant parole or custody parole to
those prisoners only in case of serious illness or critical
condition, on account of accident or death of a family member
besides the marriage of a family member, the guidelines said.
In December last year, Delhi government had come under
fire for granting parole to Jessicca Lall murder case convict
Manu Sharma, son of powerful Haryana politician Venod Sharma,
even while appeals by other prisoners for such relief were
pending.

As per the guidelines, the government will not grant
parole to convicts involved in offences like sedition and
whose release on parole has serious repercussion on national
security should not be given the facility.

"Convicts whose release on parole is considered to be
dangerous or a threat to national security...and prisoners who
have been involved in crimes and offences against the state
like sedition or who have been found to be instigating serious
violation of prison discipline would not be eligible for being
released on parole," the guidelines said.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 20:19

comments powered by Disqus