Court orders release of Manipuri activist Irom Sharmila
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
Imphal: A sessions court in Manipur, Tuesday, ordered the immediate release of civil rights activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on an indefinite hunger strike demanding repeal of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act for the past 13 years.
The 42-year-old `Iron Lady` of Manipur was kept under house arrest following fears that she wants to commit suicide. She is being nose-fed by the state government at a government hospital, which was converted into a jail for her. The Manipuri government had slapped an attempt to suicide case on her.
Ordering her release, the court observed that the prosecution has failed to establish Sector 309 (Attempt to Suicide) case on Irom Sharmila.
The court said that it is just an allegation that she wants to commit suicide, hence she cannot be kept under arrest and should be released immediately.
Sharmila has been on indefinite hunger strike to demand repeal of the Act after killing of 10 civilians allegedly by the Assam Rifles near Imphal airport in November 2000.
She wants the withdrawal of AFSPA “so that people could live without any fear in the state”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar