Court proceedings on day-to-day basis in blasts cases
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday decided to
conduct hearings on a day-to-day basis from July 8 in the
cases registered in connection with the serial blasts in the
capital on September 13, 2008.
Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann said the
proceedings with regard to framing of charges would be
conducted against 14 accused from July 8 on a daily basis.
The court`s decision came on a plea by public prosecutor
Rajeev Mohan, who submitted that he needed time to go through
the voluminous records.
Counsel M S Khan, Iftikhar M Ansari and Jawahar Raza,
appearing for different accused persons submitted that the
matter could be heard on a day-to-day basis till the arguments
with regard to framing of charges were concluded.
The court is conducting proceedings in the matter through
video conferencing as out of total 14 accused arrested so far,
11 are currently lodged at Sabarmati Jail in Ahmedabad for
their alleged role in serial blasts in that city on July 26,
Five cases were registered in connection with the serial
blasts in Delhi on September 13, 2008, which claimed 26 lives
and injured over 135 people.
Meanwhile, one of accused Salman filed an application
before court alleging physical and mental torture in jail,
which sought a response from Tihar jail authorities on June 5.
Mobin Kader Sheikh, lodged at the Central jail in
Ahmedabad, alleged before the court through video conferencing
that he was not being provided the books and reading materials
made available by his family members. The court directed the
jail authorities to act in an objective manner as mandated
under jail manuals in this regard.
Delhi police had already filed the chargesheets invoking
various provisions of the Indian Penal Code, the Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Act and the Explosive Substances Act
against the accused, who are suspected to be members of terror
group Indian Mujahideen.
A separate court had yesterday allowed a plea of Delhi
police`s Special Cell seeking production of three accused Mohd
Arif, Mohd Arif Badruddin Sheikh and Saif-ur Rehman before it
on June 25 in the blasts cases.
The three suspects are also in Ahmedabad for their alleged
involvement in serial blasts there.
In an application filed before the court, the Delhi police
had contended that since the names of three suspects had
emerged following interrogation of other accused, they were
required to be quizzed in custody.
The Special Cell which investigated the synchronised
explosions in the capital had alleged that three accused
supplied ball-bearings and timer device used for preparation
of the bombs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living