Court refuses bail to Pawar slapper
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday refused bail
to Harvinder Singh who had slapped NCP leader and Union
Minister Sharad Pawar at a function here saying he required
further treatment at the hospital as the medical report showed
that he was suffering from psychological problem.
"In view of the report received from Institute of Human
Behaviour and Allied Sciences (IHBAS), I am of the considered
opinion that at present stage, the accused cannot be admitted
to bail as his medical examination by medical board is still
pending. Bail application is hereby dismissed at the present
stage," Metropolitan Magistrate (MM) Jasjeet Kaur said.
The court said that as per the medical report received
from IHBAS, Singh is a patient of "bipolar affective disorder"
and requires treatment for two-three weeks before he could be
examined by the medical board.
The court has directed the Director, IHBAS, to get Singh
medically examined from a duly constituted medical board
within 10 days and submit the report on December 22.
The court said Singh`s "detention" at the hospital was
required in the interest of justice though under the provision
of the Mental Health Act 1987, a magistrate cannot authorise
the detention of allegedly ill person in medical custody
pending report by medical officer for a period exceeding 10
days at a stretch. "In the interest of justice, his detention at the
hospital is authorised for another 10 days in order to help
the hospital to constitute a medical board for the purpose of
examination of accused," the court said.
Singh, a small-time transporter, had assaulted Pawar on
November 24 outside an auditorium on Parliament Street after a
public function, saying it was a protest against price rise
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP