Court refuses to grant Jundal`s custody to Mumbai Police
New Delhi: A local court here on Wednesday rejected the Mumbai Crime Branch’s plea for custody of Abu Jundal- the alleged handler of ten Pakistan terrorists involved in the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai.
Jundal is currently in the custody of the Special Cell of Delhi Police.
The court passed its order after Delhi Police strongly opposed the plea moved by the Mumbai Crime Branch seeking his custody for interrogation in connection with terrorism related cases.
The Delhi Police pleaded before the court that it wanted to interrogate Jundal in connection with recent blasts in the national capital.
After the court’s ruling, Mumbai Crime branch moved a fresh application seeking Jundal’s custody and the matter has been posted for hearing on July 5.
The Crime Branch of Mumbai Police had yesterday moved the court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Vinod Yadav seeking Jundal`s custody.
The court had then directed Delhi Police to file its reply on the application by today.
The Mumbai Police wanted Jundal`s custody in connection with various cases of murder, attempt to murder and other offences under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the Arms Act, which are being probed by Crime Investigation Department (CID), Mumbai.
The Mumbai Police` application was accompanied by a request letter issued by a Mumbai court for producing 30-year-old Jundal before it.
The Mumbai police are also gearing up to confront Jundal with the lone surviving perpetrator of the brazen attacks Ajmal Kasab.
"We hope to get the custody of Jundal at the earliest so that we can grill him. We would also like to confront him with Kasab," a senior Crime Branch officer said.
Requesting anonymity, the officer said Jundal`s interrogation will throw "complete light" on what went before, during and after the audacious strike in Pakistan, where the conspiracy was hatched.
A separate trial would be held against Jundal for his role in the 26/11 attacks, he said.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra ATS is also preparing to seek Jundal`s custody in the February 2010 bomb blast at Pune`s popular German Bakery, close to Osho Ashram and Jewish Chabad House, that left 17 dead and 65 wounded.
The ATS will also seek his custody in Aurangabad Arms haul case.
Jundal alias Abu Hamza alias Sayyed Zaibuddin was arrested by the Special Cell of Delhi Police from Indira Gandhi International Airport here and was produced before the CMM`s court on June 21.
He is currently in the custody of Special Cell till July 5.
Jundal has been booked under various provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, the Explosive Substances Act, the Passport Act and various sections of the IPC.
Jundal, an alleged LeT operative, is believed to have issued directions from a `control room` in Pakistan to 10 terrorists who went on a rampage in Mumbai in November 2008, killing 166 persons.
He was deported from Saudi Arabia on India`s request and was arrested on his arrival at Indira Gandhi International Airport by Delhi Police on June 21.
Jundal allegedly had taught Hindi to 10 Lashker-e-Toiba terrorists who carried out the Mumbai attacks in 2008.
A resident of Georai area of Beed district in Maharashtra, he had managed to give a slip to the Mumbai Police when an arms consignment in Aurungabad was seized in 2006 and had left for Pakistan.
Along with five others, he was allegedly present in the `control room` set up in Pakistan and was heard instructing terrorists who were engaged in a fight with NSG commandos at Nariman house, officials associated with the probe have said.
According to police, his presence was also stated by Ajmal Kasab in his deposition before a special court in Mumbai.
Kasab had told the court that one person by the name of Abu Jundal had tutored 10 terrorists on how to speak Hindi.
India had also secured an Interpol Red Corner Notice against Jundal in which he was accused of crimes involving the use of weapons, explosives and terrorism.
166 people, including foreigners, were killed in the 2008 attack in Mumbai that also left 9 terrorists dead.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?