Court rejects 26/11 terror accused Faheem Ansari’s bail plea
Mumbai: The trial court on Monday dismissed the bail plea of 26/11 terror attack accused Faheem Ansari saying that the grounds on which the bail has been sought are baseless.
Ansari, had appealed for bail on Saturday (February 20), stating that the death of his advocate Shahid Azmi has left him without a lawyer.
In his bail plea, Faheem sought his release on the ground that he needs to look for a lawyer as none were ready to take up his case.
Ansari’s lawyer Shahid Azmi was shot dead by three assailants last week.
Ansari in his bail plea alleged that crime branch officials were responsible for the death of his lawyer as in May last year; they threatened Azmi to withdraw from the case.
“No one is ready to take up my case as my lawyer Azmi was shot dead,” he said.
Ansari claimed that he was falsely implicated in the case and that it was David Coleman Headley, who guided the tourists with maps and sketches and not him as alleged by the prosecution.
Opposing Ansari’s bail plea, Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam stated that the maps recovered from slain terrorist Abu Ismail was prepared by Faheem.
"The Lucknow police in whose custody Faheem was prior to the 26/11 attack had also recovered a similar map from him, Nikam claimed, adding if Faheem was released on bail he would flee.
The bail was rejected after Special Judge M L Tahiliyani found the allegations to be baseless.
Ansari has been charged for his alleged involvement in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks which claimed 166 lives and left over 304 people injured.
Mohd Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving gunman of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks has also been charged in a similar case along with Sabauddin Ahmed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city