Court rejects bail plea of ex-MCI president in assets case
New Delhi: A Delhi court today dismissed the
bail plea of former Medical Council of India (MCI) president
Ketan Desai in a case lodged against him for allegedly
possessing assets disproportionate to his known sources of
Special CBI Judge O P Saini rejected the application of
Desai saying he cannot be released on bail as the offence was
grave. Moreover, the probe was at a nascent stage.
Earlier, the court had remanded the accused to judicial
custody till July 20 when he was produced at the end of his
eight-day custodial interrogation in the case.
Desai, who was granted bail on June 22 in a case of
alleged corruption for allegedly taking bribe to accord
sanction to a private medical college in Punjab, was arrested
afresh in the assets case.
He was granted bail as CBI failed to file a probe report
against him within the prescribed limit of 60 days.
CBI had registered the DA case against Desai and his wife
and mother in May for having assets worth over Rs 24 crore.
The former MCI president was arrested on April 22 by CBI
along with three others for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs
two crore to give permission to Gyan Sagar Medical College,
Patiala, to recruit a fresh batch of students.
The Delhi High Court had earlier granted bail to
Sukhwinder Singh, owner of Gyan Sagar Medical College, as also
to Kanwaljit Singh, one of the professors of the college, and
J P Singh, an alleged tout involved in the scam.
All the four have been booked under the Prevention of
Corruption Act dealing with inducing a public servant to
accept bribe, criminal misconduct and payment of money.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed