Court rejects plea against Padma Bhushan for Chatwal
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday dismissed a petition challenging Centre`s decision to confer Padma Bhushan on NRI hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal.
A Bench headed by acting Chief Justice Madan B Lokur, after going through the original documents placed before it by the Additional Solicitor General P P Malhotra, found no
substance in the allegation that proper procedure was not followed in the case of Chatwal.
The High Court had on March 25 asked the petitioner, SK Shah, to show by furnishing documents as to where has the selection committee failed to meet the guidelines while
considering Chatwal`s name for the prestigious award.
Appearing for the Government, Additional Solicitor General had submitted that following a Supreme Court ruling, a high-level committee was constituted to consider every aspect of all applicants before finalising their names.
"You cannot level wild allegations. There is a report
of the committee which has already considered all the
aspects...," the bench had said.
Shah, appearing in person, had alleged that Chatwal
was involved in various economic offences.
The petitioner had earlier sought a direction to the
Centre to rescind the decision to confer the award on Chatwal
on various grounds, including his alleged involvement in
Besides Chatwal, the Centre and CBI were also
respondents in the Public Interest Litigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!