`Court right in denying bail to Kanimozhi’: Swami
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian
Swamy, who had approached court in the 2G scam case, on Thursday
described the denial of bail to DMK MP Kanimozhi and seven
others as a "correct decision" since they had committed "crime
against the nation".
He said one cannot compare the case of Kanimozhi and
others with former Goldman Sachs executive Rajat Gupta getting
bail in a case in the United States.
"This is a correct decision. The CBI was pressurised to
take a ridiculous stand of not objecting to bail applications
of certain people while objecting to others," Swamy told
He said courts had held that bail is a rule and jail is
an exception. "In this case, jail is an exception because they
committed a crime against the nation. Rajat Gupta`s crime was
not a crime against nation and it was just a case of
manipulation. This is much more serious crime.
"These people looted the country," he alleged.
His comments came as a Delhi court today dismissed bail
pleas of Kanimozhi and seven others in the 2G spectrum
allocation case with Special Judge O P Saini saying the
charges levelled against them were of "very serious nature."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family