Court sends Madhuri Gupta espionage case to sessions judge
New Delhi: Paving the way for start of
trial against disgraced diplomat Madhuri Gupta in an espionage
case, a Delhi court on Tuesday sent the case file to the District
Judge for framing of charges.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav, on
completion of procedural formalities, sent the matter to the
District and Sessions Judge who would allocate it to a
sessions court for initiation of the trial.
The copy of the chargesheet and other documents have
been supplied to the accused and now, the matter could be sent
to the sessions court, Additional Public Prosecutor Naveen
Gupta is in jail since her arrest on April 22 on the
charge of passing on sensitive information to her Pakistani
intelligence agencies after being called here from Islamabad
where she was posted as Second Secretary (Information).
The court, so far, has dismissed her three bail
It, however, had allowed her application seeking a
copy of electronic communications she allegedly exchanged with
her handlers in Pakistan during her stint there.
The prosecution had opposed her bail plea saying "the
accused had the dominion over the secret information relating
to safety and security of India and she had committed breach
of trust reposed in her by the government of India and passed
on that information to Pakistani agencies and she may
influence the witnesses."
The probe agency had cited Gupta`s purported e-mails
to claim that she used to pass on information to Pakistan
intelligence agencies through her handler Jamshed -- whom she
planned to marry -- and Mubashar Raza Rana.
Police had filed the chargesheet against 53-year-old
IFS officer on July 20 seeking her prosecution under various
provisions of the Official Secrets Act and Indian Penal Code.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling