Court stays proceedings against 13 US websites
New Delhi: Citing denial of assistance from US authorities, a Delhi court on Monday said the proceedings against 13 websites, including Facebook and Google, are "stayed" in a complaint case which accused them of promoting class enmity and undermining national integrity.
The court, however, ordered that recording of "pre-charge evidence" against other accused websites, including Facebook India and Google India (P) Ltd, would commence from September 28.
"The proceedings qua accused number (13 accused websites) ....Have already been stayed due to denial of assistance by the US department of Justice, Government of USA," Metropolitan Magistrate Jay Thareja said.
The 13 websites against whom proceedings have been stayed include Facebook, Orkut, YouTube, Google, Yahoo and Microsoft.
The Ministry of Home Affairs had earlier told the court that the US authorities are unable to "execute" the request for assistance in serving summons to these US-based websites.
During the day`s hearing, the court said that it would commence the recording of pre-charge evidence in the case from September 28.
"All the accused were summoned by the order of the predecessor court for offences punishable under sections 292 (sale, etc., of obscene books), 293 (sale, etc., of obscene objects to young persons), 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC, 1860.
"Since the offence under section 293 of IPC is punishable with maximum imprisonment of three years, the present case shall be tried as a warrant case otherwise than police report. Put up for recording of pre-charge evidence on September 28, 2013," the court said.
The Home Ministry had earlier told the court that they
have received a communication dated March 20, 2013 from the US Department of Justice according to which they cannot execute the request as it "implicates free speech principles" which are protected as per the US Constitution.
The court had on January 8 issued fresh summonses against these US-based websites, which have been arrayed as an accused in the complaint filed by Vinay Rai and had directed the MHA to get the process served upon them.
The US authorities had informed the MHA that they will not be able to assist with the execution of the request without additional information being provided to them.
Earlier, advocate S P M Tripathi, who appeared for Rai, had submitted in the court the forms, required to be filled up as per the prescribed norms of the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty between the USA and India.
The websites named in the complaint filed against them for allegedly committing offences like those of selling obscene materials to the youth and hatching criminal conspiracy include Facebook, Orkut, YouTube, Yahoo, Blogspot, Google and Microsoft.
The Centre had earlier told the court that there was sufficient material to proceed against the websites for the alleged offences.
The court had on December 23, 2011 issued summonses to 21 social networking websites on the complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks