Court to hear arguments against Abu Salem in extortion case
New Delhi: A Delhi court today decided to
hear arguments next month on framing of charges against
underworld don Abu Salem in a case against him for allegedly
demanding Rs five crore from a Delhi-based businessman as
Additional Sessions Judge Pinki fixed the matter for
hearing the arguments on December 8 on the plea by the counsel
as Salem could not be produced before it today.
The court issued a production warrant for the same day
against the accused, asking the authorities of Arthur Road
jail, where Salem is lodged now, to produce him before it.
Salem, who appeared yesterday before two courts here
in different matters, did not attend the court proceedings on
September 10, October 8 and 26 also.
The accused had approached the Portuguese Supreme
Court against the order of this court which had rejected the
plea by the Delhi Police seeking dropping of charges under
tough MCOCA against him.
The gangster has claimed his impending trial under the
Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act was in violation
of the extradition terms agreed to between India and Portugal,
from where he was extradited in 2005.
Salem was booked under MCOCA and other provisions of
IPC for allegedly making extortion calls to Delhi-based
businessman Ashok Gupta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH