Courtesy Sonia, woman gets her hubby out of jail
Rae Bareli: The cries of a Dalit woman for
the release of her husband arrested on the charge of illicit
liquor brewing drew Sonia Gandhi`s attention today during a
tour of her Lok Sabha constituency.
The Congress chief objected to alleged frequent
detentions of Dalits on "flimsy" charges of illicit liquor
brewing in Sarai Digosa village and a police officer released
the man, who was arrested on a similar charge.
Residents of the Scheduled Caste-dominated village under
Sataon assembly segment, mobbed Gandhi complaining that police
frequently pick up "innocent" villagers on charges of liquor
brewing and extort money from them.
Chanda Pasi, whose husband Chhedi Passi was taken into
custody in the morning on similar charges, started wailing
when Gandhi was interacting with villagers.
A visibly upset Gandhi called the Additional SP and
officers in-charge and asked them why villagers were making
such complaints. She said it was wrong if such things
The ASP, who earlier argued that he was arrested for
brewing illicit liquor, took the initiative to get the man
freed. He even asked villagers to call him personally, if
there was any such problem in future.
UPCC spokesperson Akhilesh Prasad Singh, who was
accompanying Gandhi said, "This was a fit example of how
innocent Dalits are being harassed under Mayawati`s rule in
the Uttar Pradesh."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark