Courtesy Sonia, woman gets her hubby out of jail
Rae Bareli: The cries of a Dalit woman for
the release of her husband arrested on the charge of illicit
liquor brewing drew Sonia Gandhi`s attention today during a
tour of her Lok Sabha constituency.
The Congress chief objected to alleged frequent
detentions of Dalits on "flimsy" charges of illicit liquor
brewing in Sarai Digosa village and a police officer released
the man, who was arrested on a similar charge.
Residents of the Scheduled Caste-dominated village under
Sataon assembly segment, mobbed Gandhi complaining that police
frequently pick up "innocent" villagers on charges of liquor
brewing and extort money from them.
Chanda Pasi, whose husband Chhedi Passi was taken into
custody in the morning on similar charges, started wailing
when Gandhi was interacting with villagers.
A visibly upset Gandhi called the Additional SP and
officers in-charge and asked them why villagers were making
such complaints. She said it was wrong if such things
The ASP, who earlier argued that he was arrested for
brewing illicit liquor, took the initiative to get the man
freed. He even asked villagers to call him personally, if
there was any such problem in future.
UPCC spokesperson Akhilesh Prasad Singh, who was
accompanying Gandhi said, "This was a fit example of how
innocent Dalits are being harassed under Mayawati`s rule in
the Uttar Pradesh."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state