Courts must ensure veracity of dying declaration: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has asked
lower courts to ensure the veracity of a dying declaration
which should be free from tutoring to inspire full confidence
about its correctness for convicting an accused.
"The dying declaration is recognised by law to be
given greater weightage but it should be such which inspires
full confidence of the court of its correctness," a Bench
comprising Justices Aftab Alam and Deepak Verma said.
It also cautioned the subordinate courts "to be on
guard that such statement of deceased was not a result of
either tutoring, prompting or product of imagination."
The apex court made the remarks while setting aside
the conviction and life imprisonment awarded to a woman by a
trial court, which was affirmed by the Rajasthan High Court,
in connection with the death of his daughter-in-law on the
ground that the first two dying declarations of the victim
were not consistent with the third one.
The trial court and the High Court had relied on one
of the three dying declarations of the victim to hold the
The victim had given three dying declarations with the
first two stating that she died of accidental fire while
Ignoring them, the trial court and the high court had
given credence to the third declaration made by her before an
executive magistrate in which it was stated that the
mother-in-law had poured kerosene oil and set her on fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- CM Mehbooba Mufti favours abrogation of AFSPA from parts of J&K; says if successful it can be revoked in entirety
- EPFO likely to raise equity investment to 10%
- West Indies vs India: Statistical highlights — Records for Saha, pace pair Shami and Yadav
- West Indies vs India, 1st Test: 5-star Ashwin dominates hosts on Day 4
- Televangelist Zakir Naik's aides make startling revelations, it will shock you -- Read