CP fake encounter case: SC upholds life term of 10 cops
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday upheld the conviction and life sentence of ten Delhi Police officials
including an Assistant Police Commissioner for killing two
businessmen in a fake encounter in 1997.
A bench of justices H S Bedi and C K Prasad dismissed the
appeal filed by the police officials who had approached the
apex court against the verdict of the Delhi High Court.
The high court had on September 18, 2009 upheld the
conviction and life sentence of the 10 policemen including ACP
S S Rathi for the killing of two Haryana-based businessmen due
to mistaken identity at Connaught Place here.
The high court concurred with the trial court judgement
of October 24, 2007 holding them guilty of murder.
The other nine convicts are Inspector Anil Kumar,
Sub-Inspector Ashok Rana, Head Constables Shiv Kumar, Tejpal
Singh and Mahavir Singh and Constables Sumer Singh, Subhash
Chand, Sunil Kumar and Kothari Ram.
A Delhi Police Crime Branch team led by encounter
specialist Rathi had on March 31, 1997 fired indiscriminately
on a car after suspecting that the businessmen were Uttar
Pradesh?based gangsters wanted by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Schools, colleges shut in rain-hit Karnataka district
- NT Awards 2016: Zee News wins five awards in various categories
- AAP advertising budget less than money spent on PM Modi's clothes: Arvind Kejriwal
- ''Disappointment'' over Pay Commission due to Centre's inability to rein in inflation: JD (U)
- Want to live longer? Restrict your calorie intake!