CP fake encounter case: SC upholds life term of 10 cops
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday upheld the conviction and life sentence of ten Delhi Police officials
including an Assistant Police Commissioner for killing two
businessmen in a fake encounter in 1997.
A bench of justices H S Bedi and C K Prasad dismissed the
appeal filed by the police officials who had approached the
apex court against the verdict of the Delhi High Court.
The high court had on September 18, 2009 upheld the
conviction and life sentence of the 10 policemen including ACP
S S Rathi for the killing of two Haryana-based businessmen due
to mistaken identity at Connaught Place here.
The high court concurred with the trial court judgement
of October 24, 2007 holding them guilty of murder.
The other nine convicts are Inspector Anil Kumar,
Sub-Inspector Ashok Rana, Head Constables Shiv Kumar, Tejpal
Singh and Mahavir Singh and Constables Sumer Singh, Subhash
Chand, Sunil Kumar and Kothari Ram.
A Delhi Police Crime Branch team led by encounter
specialist Rathi had on March 31, 1997 fired indiscriminately
on a car after suspecting that the businessmen were Uttar
Pradesh?based gangsters wanted by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS