CPI asks former PM, Cong to explain charges levelled by Katju
New Delhi: CPI on Monday asked former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress to explain the charges levelled by Press Council Chairman Markandey Katju about corruption in the judiciary.
Reacting to Katju`s allegations, senior party leader D Raja also sought the creation of a National Judicial Commission to establish judicial accountability, uphold the indpendence of the judiciary and check corruption in it.
"There have been allegations about corruption in the judiciary. But the fresh allegations by Katju once again stress the need for setting up of a National Judicial Commission," the CPI National Secretary said.
"We don`t get to know how judges are appointed, elevated or transferred, even though we have a system of collegium. That is why people question these things," he said.
While Manmohan Singh and the Congress party "should explain" whether these allegations were true, Raja asked, "Why is Katju raising these questions at this time?"
Katju has spoken of allegations of corruption against an unnamed additional judge of the Madras High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH