CPI asks former PM, Cong to explain charges levelled by Katju
New Delhi: CPI on Monday asked former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress to explain the charges levelled by Press Council Chairman Markandey Katju about corruption in the judiciary.
Reacting to Katju`s allegations, senior party leader D Raja also sought the creation of a National Judicial Commission to establish judicial accountability, uphold the indpendence of the judiciary and check corruption in it.
"There have been allegations about corruption in the judiciary. But the fresh allegations by Katju once again stress the need for setting up of a National Judicial Commission," the CPI National Secretary said.
"We don`t get to know how judges are appointed, elevated or transferred, even though we have a system of collegium. That is why people question these things," he said.
While Manmohan Singh and the Congress party "should explain" whether these allegations were true, Raja asked, "Why is Katju raising these questions at this time?"
Katju has spoken of allegations of corruption against an unnamed additional judge of the Madras High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!