CPI demands judicial inquiry into Kol Fire tragedy
The CPI on Friday demanded a judicial
probe into the massive fire in Kolkata hospital in which 70
people were killed.
Pointing out that private hospitals and nursing homes are
"mushrooming everywhere in the country", he said patients are
being charged at a very high exorbitant rate in such
facilities and there are "serious loopholes in the
"They are only for profit. Greed for profit. It is an
example of greed for profit of the corporate sector in the
healthcare and government also is pampering it all over the
country," Dasgupta said.
"Therefore I demand that multi-storey building should be
banned in Kolkata. I demand that a judicial probe should be
ordered into it immediately.
"I demand that all the private nursing homes, not only
in Kolkata, but all over the country should be regularly and
properly inspected and government and health ministry should
ensure that the security and safety of the patients are
properly maintained," the CPI leader said.
70 people have died in the fire at the private 190-bed
AMRI Hospital at Dhakuria in Kolkata`s southern fringes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog